St Martin of Tours Episcopal Church
Work being funded includes creating a community hall, offices for 2 local organisations, toilets and completing the main entrance into the building. Once transformed, the church will become comfortable, modern and environmentally friendly for use by the whole community, seven days a week, throughout the year. Originally built as a Baptist Church, the building is a late 19th century gothic revival church with gabled porch and transepts and a projecting 3-stage tower with a spire at one corner. Internally, the building is on two levels with the worship space, kitchen and accessible toilet, including a balcony, on the upper (street) level and a multi-purpose hall and office spaces located on the lower level. The congregation of St Martin's took residence in the 1980s. As a congregation, St Martin's was established in 1884 as a mission station from St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral in Palmerston Place, in the west of the city centre.