Polwarth Church is a Grade B listed building built in 1901 in the Gothic style adjacent to the Union Canal.
It has many interesting architectural features including a Forster & Andrews 1903 fully working organ, the Murray prayer aisle, a gallery, a tower, green men gargoyles and an original pulpit.
There are beautiful stained glass windows including a Clayton & Bell ascension window. The original pews were removed in 2002 but some can be seen in the gallery, the choir stalls and at the back of the sanctuary. Painted on the floor is a labyrinth which provides a focus for meditation, peace and prayerfulness when it is walked.
There are two halls which are used for many community activities by all ages and abilities. The Canal Shed has its base here and offers activities including woodwork, recycling, upcycling, computer skills, gardening and creative crafts. There is a Pop Up Café which is open on Tuesdays for those who may feel isolated and lonely.
The outside grounds are extensive and the Canalside Garden gives access to the Union Canal and our pontoon which can moor three canal boats. Our 'All Aboard' project is planning to purchase a broadbeam canal boat this summer to moor at our pontoon, offering exciting opportunities to all ages and abilities within our congregation and community.
Beside this is a newly created Peace Garden (created 2019) which is dedicated to WWI nurses and medical staff who transported injured WWI personnel by barge in France and Flanders. The Tranquillity Garden honours the WWI war poet Wilfred Owen. Veterans of both World Wars are honoured at our memorials and we are linked with veterans who live in Edinburgh, some of whom have worked to create our gardens.
A visit to the Kirk on the Canal is not to be missed whether photographing the beautiful architecture, eating in the cafe, walking the labyrinth, sitting in the Peace Garden beside the canal or watching the fish, ducks, swans and otters swimming by.
All are welcome.