St James

 

Large Grade II parish church built in 1833 by John Dobson  on land donated by John Buddle, a famous mining engineer and colliery manager. He and developer Richard Grainger lie in the graveyard. A number of additions were made throughout the 19th century, including the aisle and chancel in 1863, the spire, choir vestry and porch by Hicks and Charlewood in 1895 and the north aisle and lady chapel in the early 1900s.

The grant will facilitate urgent repairs to the roof.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county