St Wilfrid

 

Designed by Arthur Randall Wells, and built between 1937 and 1939, the Grade II* listed St Wilfrid's Church bridges the gap between the Arts and Crafts style and modernism. Pioneering in its use of concrete vaulting, it has Early English gothic inspired details, such as triangular-headed windows. In the building is a statue by Eric Gill of St Wilfrid. The church is very visible as it stands on a hill above the main road through Halton. You can even see it when flying into the airport. Most of the activities that the church organises are used as ways to bring people from all areas of the parish into contact with the church, its people and its mission. The church is used for concerts throughout the year. A light and spacious building, over the past 25 years its condition has deteriorated and the major Cornerstone grant was to help fund repairs to a badly leaking roof.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county