Leeds Cathedral is one of the finest Catholic Cathedrals in England; newly restored Saint Anne's is situated in the heart of the Leeds city centre.
Holy Trinity is a Grade I listed Georgian church in the centre of the city of Leeds.
It has long been recognised as a building of fine architectural quality. Described in the 19th century as a ‘correct and beautiful edifice’ (Whitaker 1816), it was in danger of demolition in the 1950’s, but reprieved in 1958 when the church commissioners, declared it to be ‘a building of the greatest architectural distinction and importance and of historical interest’. More recently the author of the new Pevsner Architectural Guide to Leeds was able to state that ‘Etty’s Holy Trinity church still stands on Boar Lane as testament to the urbane taste and sophistication of early 18th century Leeds’.
Holy Trinity was originally a chapel of ease to the parish church of St Peter at Leeds, together with St John’s in Briggate and the eight chapelries forming the large parish. After considerable effort by Canon Richard Bullock (incumbent 1882-1899), Holy Trinity became a parish in its own right in 1885, with responsibility for an area enclosed by Park Row and Neville St on the west, The Headrow on the north, Briggate on the east, and the river on the south. The parish was extended first westwards in 1905 to take in the parish of St Paul’s following that church’s closure and demolition, and then to the east when it was united with St John’s, Briggate. Further change came in 1990 with the formation of Leeds city parish, which excluded the former parish of St Paul’s.
Described as ‘The most important of the [eighteenth] century’s architectural additions to the town’ (Linstrum 1969), Holy Trinity has added architectural significance as one the few Georgian buildings surviving in Leeds.
Holy Trinity church was consecrated on August 27th, 1727. It was the third major Anglican church to be built in what was a rapidly growing town. The medieval church of St Peter (Leeds parish church) was rebuilt in the 19th century and reconsecrated in 1841, and St John’s, Briggate, dates from the 17th century. First established on ground said to have been the venue for travelling theatres and circuses, Holy Trinity was also an important venue for the musical and artistic life of 18th century Leeds.