The church was built to a design in a stripped modern Early Christian style by WHH Marten FRIBA in collaboration with G Alan Burnett ARIBA, and opened in 1937. The site is the former garden of Ashbourne House in Chapeltown Road, Leeds (which became the presbytery). The church was originally designed to seat 500 people in the nave and transepts. By the 1980s demographic shifts in the Chapeltown area had led to a decrease in the Catholic population in the parish, and the church was reordered accordingly. In 1987 the nave was subdivided, leaving a smaller worship area accommodating 3-400 people, and new community facilities were installed at the west end of the former nave with the creation of a Community Room.
George Gilbert Scott, perhaps the greatest ecclesiastical architect of the time, designed All Souls on a grand scale, having in mind the nave of one of the great Yorkshire abbeys.
St Mark is the last to survive of the three ‘Million’ or Church Commissioner’s churches built in Leeds.