St Peter and St Paul
The fine medieval of Church of St Peter and St Paul is a large Horton stone building under a lead roof. It was built between the 12th and 14th centuries on the site of an 11th century church. The font dates from the 14th century. Traces of medieval wall paintings remain in the north and south aisles. The church contains original seats and choir stalls in the chancel that were installed in 1446. It also has 17th century pews, rare examples from that period. The church is not only centrally located in the village, it is central to the life of the community beyond a place of worship. It is regularly used for ecumenical services, concerts, special village events, fetes and other events. Swalcliffe church is visited regularly by villagers and by tourists visiting the area or the nearby mediaeval Tithe Barn which houses a fine collection of rural carts.
Top tips from completed project feedback:
Use a good architect and project manager