This large and lofty Grade II listed church was built in a "Decorated Gothic" style and was consecrated in 1881. According to Pevsner "The plain exterior scarcely prepares one for the riches inside" - 6 windows by Kempe including the great East window with Geometrical tracery. The Kempe paintings on the Reredos (the Nativity) are flanked by 8 side panels, (Celtic Saints) all framed with carved & gilded wood. "Splendid" murals in chancel depicting the Te Deum (with multi ethnic Angels) are by Hemming & Co (1913). The church is situated in the Chapeltown conservation area of Leeds.
The maintenance grant has helped the church to carry out urgent slate and roof repairs as well as surveying the roof to assess its durability.