St John the Baptist

 

The current Gothic style Church was built in 1867 and restored in 1909. Following structural failure of the spire in 1980, the spire was reconstructed in 1990.

The project is urgent structural stabilisation work. There is ongoing historic movement to the gable end of the east wall in the chancel. The head of the east gable has separated from the roof finish and there is a significant bulge in the east wall below and to the right of the window sill. There is now a gap between the lead soakers and the masonry at the top of the roof resulting in very little restraint being offered by the roof and it only relies on the purlin bearings. To address this outward movement, the gable wall will be tied back to the existing trusses using Cintec Anchors.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county

Back to Map