St James the Less


The original lanceted church of 1882, which now forms the nave, was designed by R. T. N. Speir of Culdees, the plans being drawn under his direction by Henry Seymour of Seymour & Kinross.  It is of coursed rock-faced masonry with a bellcote and later north door and west porch. The rest, by Kinross's later partner, H. O. Tarbolton, was built in 1899 as a memorial to Sir James Clerk, eighth baronet, and consists of a chancel (over a vestry built into the fall of the ground) continuing the roof-line of the nave, but with Perp windows. A very simple tower against the south side, slightly battered, is crowned with a low pyramidal roof behind the stepped battlements. The additions are in snecked rubble with smooth quoins to match those of the older work.

The grant will enable the church to install an overflow pipe to prevent a repeat of flooding.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county

Back to Map