Mitchell incorporated the tower that was erected by David Bryce in 1837.
The interior is in the neoByzantine style and includes a semi circular apse and pink sandstone columns along with new woodwork, including the pulpit, communion table and screen.
In the 1990s architects Page & Park designed an extension to the south side, overlooking the Water of Leith. This contemporary design marries old and new and reaches out into the woodland.
In the churchyard stands an iron mort safe, probably dating from the 1820s. This one ton object was placed over newly buried bodies to keep body snatchers at bay.