The current building of St Germain’s church replaced an iron church from the 1890s. It was built, unusually, during the First World War, and consecrated in 1917. It was designed by Birmingham architect Edwin Francis Reynolds, and is considered to be the church which made his reputation. It is a good example of the Early Christian/Byzantine style, largely unaltered. Materials include Hollington stone, Westmorland slate, Shap granite, and Swedish green marble. The wooden roof beams are painted with Arts and Crafts motifs. Many donations were given in memory of those fallen in the First World War, funding various fixtures and fittings.
The National Churches Trust’s £10,000 Community Grant will fund a project to install a fully accessible servery and kitchen in the church, including storage space, installing drains, and a water supply.
Top tips from completed project feedback:
- Keep the Diocesan Advisory Committee briefed about the proposals being considered before submitting the final request for Faculty. This means they are fully in the picture and can raise any concerns as part of the process, and then these can be addressed with the architect or relevant person, to try to maintain momentum in the project.
- In relation to fund-raising, it can be helpful for those leading the project to know what the view of the PCC is in relation to approaching lottery funds or not as people can hold opposite views.