The building is primarily a medieval building completed in the 15th century. The list of 'clergy' goes back to Norman times, 1266, but there is history of monastic activity in the village from Celtic times. There is a remarkable pre-reformation stained glass windows and the Church is visited by people from all over the world. These were renovated in Victorian days. There are some significant Victorian features, particularly the rood screen and a Father Willis organ.
Internally the North Wall of the Church is about 1.5m below ground level. Water has been seeping into the church for a number of years. The proposed works will excavate the base of the wall, cover the masonry with a commercial protective layer, and infill with a French drain system.