Salem Welsh Baptist Chapel
A Cornerstone grant to fund a final phase of repairs including work restoring/strengthening the roof attic and ceiling and to strengthen the balcony and staircase. The original Salem chapel was built in 1854 but proved to be too small and a new chapel was built in 1872 to hold 1,150 people. The chapel has a mezzanine curved balcony in traditional manner with cast iron supporting columns and balustrades. A short history of the original chapel was put into a bottle and embedded into one of the pillars leading into the new chapel. The lower ground floor church hall is used for the wider community and when works are completed the building will be open for further community use and a full range of religious services.