The church was erected in 1903 designed by JB Wilson. The church is constructed in red sneckered sandstone in a simplified Gothic design with butresses and lancet windows, comprising nave, side aisle and recessed south entrance tower rising to a tiled pyramid roof. The project involves stone repairs and repairs to the windows and window surrounds.
The early 19th century parish church, now a cathedral, has attractive new stained glass windows and interesting furnishings.
Set in a conservation village the church, built in 1160, remains one of the finest examples of a Norman church still in use in Scotland.