St Thomas’ Church is situated in Clapton Common Conservation Area and was part of a late Georgian development. The original church, built sometime between 1773 and 1777 by John Duvall, was referred to in local records as the Stamford Hill Independent Chapel. In the early 19th century, the chapel was given church status with a dedication to St Thomas, and Joseph Gwilt was commissioned to enlarge the church. It is at this time that the Tower was added. The new church was consecrated in October 1827. In 1873 further remodelling of the interior was carried out to the plans of William Burgess, when the eastern apse was created to form a prominent reredos to the High Altar. On December 27th 1940, most of the west end of the church was destroyed by enemy action, and the new church, which incorporated the surviving east end and intact Tower, was not reopened until October 1958. The Parish Hall extension was built in 1967 and opened on May 19th 1968. The post-war remodelling was carried out by the distinguished and prolific ecclesiastical architect Nugent Francis Cachemaille-Day.
The grant will help the church to carry out a feasibility study.