St Philip and St James
The church is located at the west end of Alderley Edge village, at the junction of the roads to Wilmslow and Chelford. It stands in a churchyard (no graves) of 0.76 acres surrounded by hedges. With a spire rising to 175 ft, the church is a notable landmark, visible from all parts of the village and beyond. The village War Memorial lies at the east end of the churchyard. There are two schools immediately adjacent and a third nearby. The architect, J S Crowther, was one of the most eminent Manchester church architects of the Victorian period, and was later responsible for the rebuilding of Manchester Cathedral. This was his first independent work and the Grade II * listing describes it as "correct in its detailing by the co-author with Bowman, of 'Churches of the Middle Ages' (1845)".
Corrosion to the topmost holding-down rod and other ironwork originally intended to reinforce the thin stone shell of the spire has caused internal and external bursting and cracking of the stonework, with potential hazards of falling masonry and a threat to the stability of the spire itself. The project will replace the corroded iron rings in the church spire and replace the top 11 courses of the spire.