St Peter upon Cornhill
St Peter upon Cornhill is one of Sir Christopher Wren’s City churches, rebuilt after the Great Fire of London between 1677 and 1684. It is one of the few City churches to have escaped bomb damage during the Blitz. Like many City churches, it occupies a tight site, hidden behind buildings on Cornhill. The church has a barrel vaulted nave and five narrow aisles. It contains several original door cases, a large pulpit with a richly carved tester, and an impressive wooden chancel thought to have been designed by Wren and his daughter.
The Project Development Grant will help fund the development of plans for greater public access. The church wants to celebrate Wren and reveal St Peter upon Cornhill to a wider audience, as well as interpret the significance of the building. The study will also provide plans for fabric repairs. When a proposal is ready, the church will be able to approach large funders with confidence, and begin a major project that will ensure their future is sustainable.