St Peter’s is set quite high and is visible for a considerable distance across the Gipping Valley. It is worth pausing in its pretty and peaceful churchyard to admire the surroundings and to view the church as a whole in its setting. Parts of the building have stood for at least 890 years although there was a thorough restoration and re-ordering of the church in 1870-1. The western tower, dating from the 14th century is sturdy and well-proportioned. What is perhaps the church’s most beautiful window is in the south nave wall to the east of the porch: a Decorated window of two-lights, again with lovely moulded curvilinear tracery of c.1320-30.