St Mary Magdalen
St Mary Magdalen is known as the “Church with the blue roof”. Its distinctive blue roof tiles mark it out as a landmark on a major route into the city. The “tin tabernacle” as the original place of worship was called was moved to the site of the present day church in 1917 but it took until 1932 for the new church building to be completed. St Mary Magdalen is very distinctive, built in a Romanesque style with Byzantine detailing,recalling the churches of Constantinople and similar in style to a stately basilica.
The maintenance grant has enabled the church to repair defective lead flashing on the dome roof.