St John on Bethnal Green
A grant to help fund repairs to the west elevation of the church and to deal with water penetration into the upper parts of the nave from the narrow walk-way between the tower and the west gable of the nave. St John on Bethnal Green is by the great Georgian architect, Sir John Soane, and was consecrated in 1828. It occupies a commanding position at the head of Bethnal Green Road and is a landmark for the whole area. The crypt is now used for a range of community projects, including very popular arts classes. The greatest civilian disaster of World War II happened at Bethnal Green Tube Station and the bodies were kept at the church when the hospital morgue ran out of space. The church now conducts an annual memorial service, which is the focal point of a campaign to erect a memorial to the victims.