There has been a church on this site for over 1000 years, although much of what exists is from the early C19, designed by William Fisher. G E Street the Diocesan Architect added an aisle between 1862 and 1868. The tower which needs repairs is the oldest part of the building, the lower sections reportedly being C13, the rest medieval or C19. There is some late medieval stained glass showing St Ebbe in the south aisle.
The church is undertaking an extensive project to increase capacity for its congregation and extend its outreach into the community. As part of these works urgent repairs to the floor are being undertaken as it is very uneven, there areareas where holes are opening up and areas of rot. The work involves the removal of the existing tile and softwood board floor, removal of the heater grilles and high spots and levelling of the whole floor, as well as floor joist repairs where necessary and new solid oak flooring throughout.