The church was founded in the C13, its original buildings were damaged in the reformation and the transept sealed off. Major restoration was carried out to the main building in 1758 and the chapel re-opened. In 1901 the church was renovated by John Kinross and a belltower was added to the design of John Murdoch. The present church has a pseudo-Norman tower and vestry accomodation. The church is suffering from water ingress which is particularly affecting the C13 Chantry Chapel. The work was identifed as urgent in surveys undertaken in 2013 and 2016. The project includes repairs to the roof slate and beadwork together with significant areas of removal and renewal of bossed render and associated masonry repairs.