A grant to help fund repairs to the severely eroded external stone facings of the church. The walling, especially to the north and west elevations, was in a very poor state with deep eroded pockets. Falling debris from the eroding stonework was a serious hazard. Aspects of the project included cutting out and replacing stone, re-pointing using lime-based mortar, replacing defective stone transoms and conserving the damaged Clarke window. St Cuthbert's opened in 1827 and was the first Catholic church built in Durham. It was designed, principally in sandstone, by Ignatius Bonomi; although the tower was added later in 1869. St Cuthbert's, opposite the Courthouse, forms one side of the triangular Elvet Green Conservation Area. A fine memorial window in the south wall of the nave has stained glass by Harry Clarke Studios, Dublin, from 1930. St Cuthbert's is the central parish church for the Roman Catholic community, serving local residents as well as students because it is also the Catholic chaplaincy for the University. There are pastoral and educational activities and support for the sick, bereaved, imprisoned, ex-offenders and deprived, as well as social activities to enrich community life.