St Columbkille

 

Originally founded in 1851 the present Catholic parish church of St Columbkille was consecrated in 1940, being one of the few church buildings completed following the onset of the Second World War. The building is recognised as being of outstanding architectural significance being a Listed Building with Category A status. Designed by architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia in the period 1934-40, the building is a modern interpretation of Italian Romanesque architecture a common feature being a tall frontal tower. It has a massive façade with five arcaded bays at ground level with tall windows and sculptured stone statues of Christ and the four Evangelists set in niches along with bas reliefs.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county