There has been a church on this site since 1290. In 1738 the upper part and steeple were demolished and a new bell towervwas built. The base of the medieval tower was preserved and now it is described as a three-staged buttressed west tower. There are examples of graffiti on the lead roof of the tower which is believed to date from the time this work was carried out. The Village became a battlefield for a Civil War skirmish, during the siege of Gloucester, 1644, and the tower's base bears the grooves where arrows were sharpened.
All elevations are affected by a considerable amount of surface erosion due to the intrinsic soft nature of the stone, natural weathering processes, salt damage and failed pointing. The water discharge from deformed lead outfall is blowing back causing damage to masonry. The first phase of the project includes work to the parapet, vice, rainwater chutes, re-leading of tower roof and high level delamination, pointing and stone replacement. The two phased project enabled the urgent repairs to be addressed first.