Awarded a grant to help fund repairs to the roof, gutters and windows and prevent further damage to the internal walls and ceilings. The repair project will secure a long term and sustainable future for the church and community users. The improved condition of the building will create a more welcoming venue for musical evenings, exhibitions, coffee mornings and family history research.
St Barnabas' Church was built in 1862 for the second Earl of Cawdor. A tile depicting Lord Cawdor's coat of arms is mounted near the entrance. It was built in order to provide a place of worship for workers at the woollen mills of Drefach, part of one of the main wool manufacturing centres in Wales at that time. It was designed by the architect David Brandon of London and the builder was James Rogers of Tenby. The church is Gothic in style. There is a pipe organ and a number of stained glass windows, including three apse windows of 1863 by Heaten, Butler & Bayne which are considered among the best of the period in the region.