A grant to help fund repairs to the roof and gutters. St Anne’s was one of the first churches in the UK to have electricity. John Robinson, a director of the local colliery, had St Anne’s built for the benefit of the miners. Its connection with the colliery led to an electricity cable being laid between No 2 pit and the church in 1883. The church was built in 1865 and its symmetrical design is unusual and reflects the style of the Romanesque Revival because its designer, Edward Adams, was an industrial architect who spent more time creating railway stations than churches.