The church is an ambitious and self-confident Gothic style building by G B Cox, erected between the wars and finished in 1934. It is a replica of a French Gothic church and within its grounds is a concrete and stone replica of the grotto at Lourdes.
The Baptist Church called Bethany in Chadsmoor, whilst unfussy in appearance, occupies a key position in the village at the crossroads on top of the hill, providing a beacon of Christian faith and hope in this erstwhile mining community.
The original church, a tin hut costing around £500 was built in 1876 for the mining families who had moved in from the Black Country, but destroyed by strong winds the following year. Undeterred those pioneers of Baptist work in the locality set about raising funds for a brick building which was opened in 1879. Soon this chapel became too small and a larger structure, the one we have today, was built at a cost of £850 to be 'handsome and commodious'. Said to accommodate 250 people, we think a third of that is much safer and more comfortable! The 'hammer' for the official laying of the foundation stones as well as the ceremonial silver key are on display in the church.
Key features that distinguish Bethany as a Baptist church are the pulpit for preaching the Word, the communion table and the baptistry below and in front of the pulpit floor boards. The pride with which those early Baptists in Chadsmoor cherished the church still holds today: the beauty in simplicity that is the hallmark of this working, worshipping building is evident in the way it is loved and maintained by its members. However, time goes by and we have ensured that the building can be used comfortably for worship services, commemorative events and other activities in our times. Suitable decoration that enhances the pretty windows and panelling as well as effective heating, comfy chairs are a blessing for 21st century worshippers!