The church is mid 13th century of the Transitional and Early English style, with sandstone rubble and roughly-dressed quoins. It was restored in 1848 by John Dobson, to include renewed Welsh slate roofs.
There is widespread ingress of water to the plaster infill between the rafter below the Westmorland slate roof of the nave. Extensive roof repairs are needed. The ridge bedding no longer fit for purpose and deteriorating with every rainfall. The effects of the weather, year in and year out are worsening the situation and saturation no longer remains a practical option for the water table abutment at the east west tower junction. The tower flashing needs to be replaced so as to prevent water penetration spoiling the interior of the church. There is no gutter to the western end of the nave. These repairs will all be addressed within the project.