Located on the Essex side of the Dedham Vale, Wormingford's tiny 12th century church of St Andrew is built of rubble and flint, mixed with Roman bricks. It was remodelled in the 14th and 15th centuries and heavily restored in 1870. In Saxon times it probably served double-duty as a lookout point, with views across the vale. The oldest part of the building is the nave and west tower, both dating to the 12th century. A north aisle was added in the early 14th century and the chancel rebuilt later that century. A south porch was added in the 15th century. In the churchyard are memorials to the aunt and uncle of artist John Constable.
Top tips from feedback:
- Don't take on an architect who is planning retirement.
- Get the right team, who may not be the obvious people, but should include an experienced fundraiser
- Remain positive and confident.