St Andrew's is in the centre of the medieval village of South Tawton and is in the Perpendicular style. Although it was of Norman origin, it was rebuilt in the 15th century. The porch was added in the 16th century. The church was restored in 1881 when the vestry was added. The wagon roof contains fine original medieval timber-work and carving. The 170 medieval carved bosses depict heads, flowers, foliage, animals and other symbols, including the unusual three hares and a horned owl with a headdress. The church is used for worship on most Sundays throughout the year, with high attendances at festivals. In addition, it is well used by parishioners for christenings, weddings and funerals. Once the roof repairs are complete it is intended to refurbish the kitchen area to enable the church to be used more for concerts and social events. The grant was to help fund repairs to both the north and south aisle roofs which had leaked in many places, causing damage to the interior of the church.