St Stephen

 

St Stephen's was built to the designs of the architects James Mallinson and Thomas Healy of Bradford, with funding raised from the local community. The foundation stone was laid on the 2 July 1859 and building was completed following year. The original building consisted of a nave of six bays with gabled clerestory squat windows to the central four bays, each of two lights with trefoil and quatrefoil tracery above, low north and south aisles with three light windows, each with a porch to the west bay, a short chancel and to the west a slated helm broached spire. In 1886 an extension was built consisting of a semi-octagonal chancel with tall two light windows with quatrefoil tracery and gabled heads to each elevation, north and south transepts, a choir vestry and an organ chamber. Memorial windows in the aisles include work by Powell and Kayll of Leeds, and are of regional importance. Oak panels were fitted in the chancel in 1921 as a memorial to 279 members of the church and members of the Bradford Pals regiment who were killed during WWI; the panels are of national importance. St Stephen's church is a Grade II listed building

The grant will help fund a project to repair the roofs, masonry, glazing, and underground drainage to the north side of the church.

View more churches or chapels we have helped in this county

Back to Map