Status : Open
Next Deadline and Decisions : Rolling programme, 31st October 2022 (re-opens 1st January 2023)
Grant Size : £500 to £5,000
Works Cost : Up to £10,000 (excl VAT and fees)
The Foundation Grant Programme offers our small grants of between £500 and £5,000 towards urgent maintenance works and small repairs identified as high priority within a recent Quinquennial Inspection or Survey Report. Also, small investigative works and surveys. Project costs should be up to £10,000 excl. VAT and awards will never exceed 50% of the costs. Decisions are made on a rolling basis.
Please watch our video on our Foundation Grants for maintenance.
We consider applications from listed and unlisted Christian places of worship, of any denomination, across the UK. We continue to encourage applications from our priority areas : North East England, Northern Ireland and Wales, but this is not to the exclusion of churches in other areas, and we will particularly welcome applications in 2021 from churches in Scotland.
The application process begins with an eligibility quiz. If you cannot answer yes to each question your application will not be successful.
The questions include:
- Is yours a Christian place of worship (but not a cathedral) within the UK, and open for at least six services of public worship each year?
- Do you own the building or have the right to carry out the work? If the church is not part of a major denomination then is the denomination registered with Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, or has it got charitable status?
- Was your place of worship built as a place of worship originally and is it more than 30 years old? And are the works that this phase will inform, be either directly to the building or attached to it?
- Is the building open to the public for a minimum of 100 days a year beyond worship use, or will be within 1 year of project completion?
- Have you already raised at least 50% of this phase of the total project cost?
- Is the project yet to start (we don't accept applications for projects that have already started)?
- Are two quotes in place for each element of the work in this application? (If not please take a look at our MaintenanceBooker services and register online to get a free quote if the services are available in your area)
- If already appointed - is the project being led by a qualified professional, with conservation accreditation from a recognised institution if it is a listed building? (please review the guidance note for more detail)
Before applying be sure to first read the Guidance notes below. The guidance contains notes on the scoring criteria, advice on completing the application form, a list of supporting documents that will be required from you, and details of the terms and conditions of any grant award made etc.
We aim to notify applicants of a decision within 6 weeks after the point of application (from January 2022), providing all supporting documents have been provided. Final decisions on all grant applications will be made by our Grants Committee, comprised of experts from the church and heritage sectors.
Unfortunately the amount of funding available is limited. Therefore we sadly cannot guarantee your success, and can only offer grants towards a small proportion of the many deserving projects which we are asked to support each round. We strongly encourage you to apply for as many other grants as possible and to start local fundraising as early as you can. For more funding sources and fundraising advice please click here.
We can only accept applications submitted online.
To review the questions in advance click here.