St Columbkille

Rutherglen, Strathclyde

Address

St Columbkille
Rutherglen
Strathclyde
G73 2SL

Originally founded in 1851 the present Catholic parish church of St Columbkille was consecrated in 1940, being one of the few church buildings completed following the onset of the Second World War. The building is recognised as being of outstanding architectural significance being a Listed Building with Category A status. Designed by architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia in the period 1934-40, the building is a modern interpretation of Italian Romanesque architecture a common feature being a tall frontal tower. It has a massive façade with five arcaded bays at ground level with tall windows and sculptured stone statues of Christ and the four Evangelists set in niches along with bas reliefs.

  • Roman Catholic Church

  • Community Grant, £15,000, 2015

  • Our Community Grants helped churches to install essential facilities such as toilets and kitchens.

Contact information

Other nearby churches

Glasgow Metropolitan Cathedral

Glasgow, City of Glasgow

The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of St Andrew built in the city centre of Glasgow is the mother church of the Archdiocese of Glasgow, designed in 1814 by James Gillespie Graham in the Neo Gothic style.