St Nectan's church is an exceptional, delightful medieval country church in a wonderfully scenic location.
There is evidence for a Christian presence on Lundy in various locations since the 6th or 7th century, and St Helen's is the most recent manifestation of this. The current church was built in 1897 for the Reverend Heaven, and the architect was John Norton, who had previously remodelled Tyntesfield House. The church is built in an Early English Gothic style, and consists of a relatively simple plan form, with a tower, nave, chancel, and vestry to the northeast. It is built of Lundy granite with a slated roof and is relatively plain externally. Internally, however, it presents a highly decorated space. The walls are of polychromatic red, black and white brickwork and the floor is made up of patterned Langwardine tiling. The furnishings of the church come from the regionally important workshop of Harry Hems of Exeter and include a fine Purbeck marble and alabaster reredos depicting the Last Supper. There are stained glass windows by Clayton and Bell of London. The church is not in a conservation area, but the island is a SSSI, the first Marine Nature Reserve (MNR) in England, a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) and lies within the North Devon UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
The grant will help fund a project including roof repairs, rainwater goods, drainage, structural repairs to walls and tower, internal repairs, reordering, exhibition space, kitchenette and storage.