Nothing remains of this church which was almost certainly destroyed when the present church consisting of nave, chancel and western tower were built in c1250. In 1290 the south transept was added. Early in 14th century the nave was widened, the north transept added and the tower remodelled. The tower houses a ring of six bells of which three remain from the original casting of five bells in 1709. In addition to the 13th century windows, including one bearing the Royal Arms of Henry V, there is a stained glass window in the south transept which was unveiled in 1984 dedicated to the memory of Airey Neave who was the local MP and lived in the village before his assassination by terrorists in 1979. Wall tablets dating onwards from 1701 commemorate members of the Loder family who owned the adjacent Manor from 1668 for over 250 years.
The church of St Mary the Virgin has stood in Buckland for eight centuries and contains a wealth of historic items.
The church of St Mary the Virgin lies at the centre of an ancient parish within an Anglo-Saxon royal estate and on the site of a late Anglo-Saxon minster from 950 or earlier.