It is thought that St Wilfrid dedicated a church on this site before 670AD. The church claims an ancestry that was already ancient when the Norman builders came in 1120, leaving the now re-used west door. Changes in the C13th and the Victorians did a 15-year ‘makeover’.
Project to carry out the prioritised works identified in QIR in order to prevent further damage due to water ingress and to maintain integrity of the structure and of noted features in the surrounding graveyard. Also to repair, make good and redecorate to ensure the building remains viable for continued service to the community as a place of worship, a space for meetings and a hub for community activities. EXTERNAL: Repairs to roof tiles; replacement of spalled coping stone on west side of north transept; repointing of open joints in roof coping stones, walls and ground gulleys; painting and maintenance of rainwater goods, soffits and fascia; repairs to 3 table tombs. INTERNAL: Repoint keystone over lintel in chancel north-east window; repair and redecorate plaster in west porch, chancel and south chapel.