South Parade Baptist Church
A grant made thanks to the 2012-13 Capital Grant Scheme from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, administered by the National Churches Trust. Grade II listed South Parade Baptist church in Headingly dates from 1908 and is in a free Gothic style with a steel truss roof disguised by an attractive plaster ceiling in a broad curve cut into by the clerestory windows; while the exterior is Gothic, Renaissance motifs are to the fore inside. The refurbishment work is to a part of the building known as the Green House Community Centre, which was developed from a little used area and is named after a former minister who had a particular passion for work in the community. The funding was to help create a new kitchen and a new servery, including hot and cold food areas. This allows the reopening of the community cafe, the expansion of homeless outreach project and use by RNIB for a support meeting for a group of local blind and partially-sighted people.