North Shields Baptist Church
A grant made thanks to the 2012-13 Capital Grant Scheme from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, administered by the National Churches Trust. North Shields Chapel was constructed in 1846, under the direction of the renowned local architect John Dobson. At first it was simply a one-room chapel, but during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, various additions were made, including a hall at the rear. Funding will help fund a new toilet for men, a separate, accessible toilet and re-laying the drains running from the toilets, kitchen and courtyard. There is a continuing and steady growth in both community use and church use of the building. The project was to enable the church to better service the needs of current users and make possible new uses such as a drop-in centre for refugees, many of whom are men.