A number of elements from the second church were incorporated into the building, notably an Elizabethan font of 1570 and the wood panelling around the balcony which contains box pews from 1836. Other interesting features are an early 20th century Baldachino and several items of 'Mouseman' oak furniture, including a screen in memory of the WW2 fallen.
The church of St Peter is a grade II* listed building with a magnificent 135 foot tower which dominates the skyline of Huddersfield.
The first church is thought to have been built around 1090 and was replaced in 1503. The second church was entirely demolished, with salvaged masonry, east window glazing and some woodwork being incorporated into the current building. The present building was designed by JP Pritchett and was built in 1836. Pritchett was a leading nonconformist chapel builder and the original internal layout was that of a Georgian preaching house. The tower was built higher than normal proportions to allow the clock to be seen from all aspects of the town. Octagonal vestries have been added to the east end of the aisles. There is a Substantial balcony area with the original box pews to the west end and to the north and south aspects. The balcony panelling is thought to have been salvaged from the second church and was restored in the late Victorian period.
The early 20th century Baldachino over the High Altar and the east window are by Sir Ninian Comper and are a memorial to the WW1 fallen. Sections of the original 1836 east window are in the south transept and have been recently restored. The font is Elizabethan and dated 1570. Several items of 'Mouseman' oak furniture can be found, the most impressive being a screen in the Lady Chapel in memory of the WW2 fallen. The organ is a three manual Conacher instrument from 1908 and was extensively rebuilt to its original state save that the original four manual console was changed to a three manual at that time.
The church stands in a green space, the old graveyard, which is the only green space in the centre of the town. A memorial stands near to the north wall of the church to recall Joseph Kaye (a key Huddersfield builder) and members of his family. The old gravestones have been utilised as paving stones for the paths around this space and inscriptions can clearly be seen to this day.