A very different Georgian style church with medieval tower and a magnificent interior, the altar piece is a copy of the Da Vinci painting of the Last Supper.
Ten windows designed by the great Victorian artist Sir Edward Burne-Jones RA who worked on them with designer William Morris are a rare and valuable possession which is our privilege and delight to share with you. They are believed to be the finest collection of windows by this artist of any church in the country.
The church, which has been described as one of the loveliest in Lincolnshire is a Grade 2* listed building and was richly endowed by Sir Hickman Bacon, the Premier Baronet of England.
A site for the church at Morton was given by Henry Hickman Bacon Esq, Lord of the Manor of Gainsborough and work was commenced on the building on May 1st 1845. On July 3rd 1846 the church was consecrated. It had cost nearly £1900. This church was much smaller than the present building and all that remains is the tower with the West Stained window.
Following a public meeting held in 1890 it was decided to enlarge the church and through the munificence of Sir Hickman Bacon, Bart., the present magnificent church was completed in 1891 at a cost of £11000.
As well as the windows can be seen the Augustus Gern organ built in 1891 is graced with a fine green and gilded case by Micklethwaite and Somers Clark, which is mentioned in ‘The Builder’ and in the ‘British Organ’ by Clutton and Nillard. The font of Frosterley marble in which can be seen fossilized shells surmounted by an exquisitely carved oak canopy, raised by a pulley system. The chancel carpet that is woven to a pattern of William Morris. The highly decorative stitched kneelers made by the church Tapestry Group as their Millennium project. There are some 150 decorative kneelers covering a wide range of subjects and commemorations.
These are things that we admire but our richest treasure our stained glass windows The Burne-Jones/Morris windows are not only rare in this country but in Christendom, they depict ‘The Adoration of the Shepherds’; the ‘Stoning of Stephen’; ‘Paul preaching on Mars Hill Athens’ and the Apostles, Saints and leaders of the Church.
In 2015 a Labyrinth was cut in the field adjoining the church, which is a sacred pattern which leads you on a single pathway through twists and turns and back again. It is believed that it is the only ‘cut’ labyrinth in Lincolnshire.