Brookenby church was created out of the former unmarried sergeants accommodation and consists of worship area, two meeting rooms, kitchen and library.
By the 19th century, St Mary's had 'suffered a century of misuse', and its attendance was poor, attracting fewer parishioners than the chapels. The nearby St Gabriel's was equally falling into disrepair. It was therefore decided that the churches of St Mary and St Gabriel should be merged. A report produced in 1855 concluded that St Mary's was beyond repair. There was some backing for the rebuilding of St Gabriel's but it was insufficient and the idea was dismissed.
In 1864 a committee was formed to raise funds for a new church and by 1867 the fund was sufficiently well established to enable work on the church to begin. In May of 1867 the old church was demolished and by October the new one was underway. James Fowler was commissioned as the architect and Wallis and Son of Market Rasen conducted the building work, partly reusing stone from both of the old churches. The new church opened in August 1869.
The church is formal for a village. It is built in ironstone with a tall tower with broach spire, nave and aisles and a chancel with a polygonal apse. It is referred to as the ‘Cathedral of the Wolds’.
The church is built in the Early English style with a slate roof and decorative clay ridge tiles. All the fittings date from 1869 apart from the chancel screen of 1884. There is also a hatchment of 1864 to Richard Bewley Caton and the font dates from the 14th century.
RAF Binbrook was once home to 460 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force and Australians and New Zealanders often visit the village. A close relationship between the parish and RAF Binbrook led to a window being dedicated to the church when the RAF Station closed in 1898. This stained glass piece was designed and made by Lincoln artist, Glenn Carter.