St Andrew's is popular with walkers and others who, according to our visitors book, appreciate both its peaceful setting and the fact that it is always open during daylight hours.
The village has existed in some form since Roman times, remains of a large villa complex have been found, and Roman terraces can be seen beyond the stream. The Domesday book of 1086 lists the village as having a church, 24 families and a mill, probably water driven, the whole being part of the estates of William de Percy, a Norman baron. The name 'Kirmond' is Norman French and derives from the meaning 'goat hill'.
Little is known about the original church which probably dated back to Norman times. Kirmond was involved in the Lincolnshire rising in Henry VIII’s time and during Queen Elizabeth I's reign the church was in good order, however it fell into disrepair in the 17th century when its nave was demolished.
The present building was designed WA Nicholson in 1848 and was financed by Squire Christopher Turnor of Stoke Rochford near Grantham, who was owner of the village. It is built in the Early English in local ironstone. There is a west bell cote, nave, south porch and chancel with a north vestry. The chancel has a priest's door which is decorated with a pattern of dogtooth Saint Andrew's crosses. There are several lancet windows, and a pointed oval window in the west wall beneath the bell cote.
In 1899 the interior of St Martin's was refurbished at a cost of £10. In 1930 a brick and concrete vestry was built, somewhat spoiling the north side of the church. At that time a new set of furnishings was also added. The church has several memorials to various members of the Turnor family.
The church is maintained and cared for by the small community and is a beautiful place to spend a few quiet moments when visiting the area. A pumpkin and vegetable sculpture service in October is always popular!