There is so much to see and enjoy in St Mary's.
Barby has had a church since Saxon times and its foundation has been attributed to 891. Fragments of the early building can be seen in the church (5, 12), and it is likely that stone from the building was used in the restoration of the church in the 13th and 14th centuries. The chancel and the tower date from that period. The north and south side chapels (were added in the 14th century and the priest's room over the north porch is contemporary with them. The nave was extended southwards in the 16th century. ln the 17th century the chancel was enlarged eastwards and the tower was restored during the time of the Revd Richard Thorpe in the 1660s. The building was largely unaltered until the late 19th century when there was a major restoration by Canon R Stovin Mitchison. During this work medieval wall paintings were uncovered when the walls were treated but little trace remains today. In 1996 - 97 the stonework of the tower, together with lead and other stonework, were again restored and the clock was refurbished.
One fragment of medieval glass remains but most of the windows were made by Charles Kempe in the late 19th century. The organ dates from 1807 and there is a story that the carol 'Once in Royal David's city', was composed on it when it was in private hands. There is a peal of five bells, the fifth (the Treble) was added in 2002 for the Queen's Golden Jubilee. The list of Rectors is complete from 1230. Thank you for coming, please come again.