A slightly unusual church with a mainland European character, presumably influenced by the Belgian order which commissioned the building in the 1930s.
St Katharine's is a 200 year old neo-Gothic church in Regents Park. The church leases the church of Crown Estate, which owns most buildings around Regents Park. The church originally belonged to a foundation named after Saint Katarina.
When the Danes took over the church, it was restored and the architect Mogens Koch drew a new pulpit, baptismal font and altarpiece. King Frederik and Queen Ingrid participated on 11 May 1952 in the inauguration of St Katharine's as the Danish church. But although the Danes first moved in after the war, the historical framework emphasizes that there has been Danish church in London for centuries.
In 1696 the first Danish church was inaugurated at Wellclose Square at the Tower. This church building was divested in 1868. After that, many years of worship were held in one of the royal chapels, the Marlborough House Chapel. That the Danish congregation had this opportunity was due not least to the welcome of the later Queen Alexandra, who was Danish born. During World War II and in the years to 1952, Danish worship services were held in the Swedish Church in Harcourt Street and in St Petersburg. Clement's Danes.
After the establishment of Danish Seamen's Church in foreign ports in 1867, there was an independent sailor church in London. It was sold in 1985, after which St Katharine's has been home to serving both the seamen and the resident Danish colony. The Danish Church in London is today also a sailor church in the organization DSUK, The Danish Sewing and Foreign Church.