In 1908 Fr William Browne came to Burslem, one of the six towns that make up The Potteries and referred to as Bursley by Anold Bennett’s Five Towns.
In 1925 he started to build the present church of St Joseph's. Parishioners and men of Burslem demolished an old factory and prepared the foundations for the new church which was designed by the architect, JS Brocklesby. The church is built in red and purple brick manufactured at the brickworks at Fenton Colliery (another of the six towns).
There are two west towers; one square in plan and one smaller and round.
Much of the interior decoration, including the stained glass windows was the work of younger members of the parish under the direction of Gordon Forsyth, then Superintendent of the Burslem School of Art. Forsyth also painted some of the murals, whilst his daughter Moira was starting to produce other artwork for the church including the huge ceiling painting 'Christ in Glory'.