Towards the end of the 19th century, St David's church on the harbour had become too small during the tourist season. The decision was taken to build a much larger church in the town with a seating capacity of 1000. Following a design competition, John Douglas and Daniel Fordham were selected as architects tasked with not only designing the building but also the fixtures and fittings.
A grand ceremony was held to lay the foundation stone in 1889 with Princess Beatrice of Battenburg having the honour of laying the stone. Construction continued with completion planned in 1891 but prior to slating the roofs more blasting work was undertaken around the back which caused the almost complete tower to fall into the church (the scars of which can still be seen were different rock was later used in the walls).
St John's was fully consecrated in April 1895 and is a fine example of Victorian architecture and furnishings. Fitted out with furniture designed by John Douglas with matching carvings in the roof trusses and the collection plates, the whole building forms a very coherent design throughout.
The church also houses a peal of 8 bells in the tower cast by Mears & Stainbank with the heaviest bell weighing 22cwt, 1 stone, 1lb which makes it the 8th heaviest bell in Wales. The organ built by Nicholson & Co of Worcester and installed at the same time as the church was built is still in almost original condition and is one of the largest fully mechanical pipe organs in north Wales and is grade II* listed on the National Pipe Organ Register.
There are many more treasurers within the church too numerous to mention but a visit to St John's is well worth the climb up the hill.