Major William Colt had the church built to say thank you to God for his recovery from a very serious illness, carved faces of him and his wife and either side of the chancel steps.
We are blessed in having our 13th century church in Nursling linked to the ministry of 8th century St Boniface, and we are thankful for being able to continue the long history of Christian witness in this place.
The church, built after the demolition of the original church on the site in 1240, was modified in 1330 to be the church we have today. It has many fine features of architectural and historical interest; the nave, parish chest, pulpit, wall paintings, chancel, vestry and churchyard are all well worth examination.
The adjacent church hall was built in 1897 commemorating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The former rectory, of 1788, opposite the church is now privately owned.
St Boniface was born in Crediton, Devon around 679AD and became a teacher at a monastery probably on the site of our church here in Nursling.
His father had a secular career planned for him, but Boniface was drawn to life of an evangelist by monks staying at his father's house when he was five. After many years at Nursling he was ordained at the age of 30, and set out for Friesland, northern Holland.
St Boniface devoted his life to evangelising Northern Europe from 718AD until he was martyred in 754, aged 75. He converted some heathens by cutting down their sacred oak, as depicted on our church banner, and founded a monastery at Fulda on the Rhine where he is buried. He was martyred at Dokkum in the Netherlands. Canonized a Saint, it is said of St. Boniface that no Englishman had a deeper influence on the history of Europe.
Services take place every Sunday at 10:45am and at 6:30pm on the first Sunday of the summer months (May to September).