ShropshireCONDOVERStAndrewStMary(mikesearleCC-BY-SA2.0)4 MikeSearle

St Andrew & St Mary

The church building is one of the largest country churches in Shropshire, the oldest part of which is the Norman north transept.

Condover, Shropshire

Opening times

Daily from 9 till 5, but only in daylight hours in the Winter.

Address

Church Road
Condover
Shropshire
SY5 7AA

The main part of the church was rebuilt in 1662-4, after the tower collapsed dramatically in 1660. The south transept was repaired in about 1600 by Edward Scriven, Lord of the Manor of Frodesley. It has a fine exterior half timbered gable, which probably dates from then.

The side chapel, in the northeast corner was built in 1867-8, as part of the restoration and rebuilding initiated by Reginald Cholmondley. He also instigated the rebuilding of the chancel, replacing the Early English one. The pews, pulpit, and font were replaced shortly afterwards, and the vestry and organ chamber were built at the same time. The organ dates from 1903. The very fine hammer beam roof dates from 17th century, when the main body of the church was rebuilt.

The monument in the sanctuary, on the south side is the oldest in the church. It is in memory of Thomas Scriven, who died in 1587, and his wife Elizabeth. 1. A double monument, on the north wall. The upper figures are of Bonham Norton and his wife Jane. The lower figures are of Sir Roger Owen (Jane’s eldest brother) shown in armour, and her father Judge Owen (who built the present Condover Hall) in legal attire is dated 1641. 2. A monument under the window, by the French sculptor Roubillac is in memory of Roger Owen and his daughter Catherine, and was erected in 1746. Opposite is the monument to Alice Cholmondley and her baby daughter. She died in childbirth, and her baby a fortnight later. The sculpture is the work of her husband Mr. Reginald Cholmondley. The kneeling figure holding a sword is the work of GF Watts commemorating Thomas Cholmondley, elder brother of Reginald. Succeeding to the estate in 1863, he married a god daughter of Queen Victoria, but, tragically, died while they were on honeymoon in Florence.

  • Spectacular stained glass

  • National heritage here

  • Magnificent memorials

  • Famous connections

  • Captivating architecture

  • Walkers & cyclists welcome

  • Space to secure your bike

  • On street parking at church

  • Dog friendly

  • Bus stop within 100m

  • Church of England

  • Foundation Grant, £4,000, 2019

  • Our Foundation Grants fund urgent maintenance work and small repairs to help keep churches open.

  • Repair Grant, £2,000, 2007

  • Our Repair Grants funded urgent repair work to help keep churches open.

Contact information

Other nearby churches

St Mary

Acton Burnell, Shropshire

Acton Burnell Castle was the home of Robert Burnell, a close associate of Edward I who became Lord Chancellor and Bishop of Bath and Wells.

Shrewsbury Cathedral

Shrewsbury, Shropshire

The church was designed by Edward Pugin the son of Augustus Pugin and was completed in 1856: amongst the glories of the Cathedral must be counted the stained glass.